Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder
Use the free digital Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder to check car specs and generate a vehicle history report with mileage, damages and other recorded car data.
The origins of Mercedes-Benz AG come from the late 18th century, but first Mercedes-Benz cars were produced in 1926. The company aimed to manufacture capable commercial and luxurious, high-status vehicles right from the beginning. As a result, powerful leaders still often choose Mercedes-Benz today.
Nowadays, Mercedes vehicles fill all segments – from premium microcars and pickup trucks to extravagant sedans and SUVs. While many young rivals try to squeeze into the luxury segment, a three-point star is still one of the proudest badges to have on a grill.
What is a Mercedes-Benz VIN?
The Mercedes-Benz VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is a 17-digit alphanumeric code, uniquely identifying every Mercedes vehicle in the world. It can tell you a lot about the history and specifications of any car or motorcycle.
Wondering which Mercedes-Benz parts fit your vehicle or whether a used car has been in a severe accident? The Mercedes VIN is your best friend – just pop it into our VIN Decoder and learn everything.
What does Mercedes-Benz VIN contain?
Mercedes-Benz VINs are made up of three distinct parts: the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI), the Vehicle Description Section (VDS), and the Vehicle Identifier Section (VIS). The 17 characters of your VIN number offer a wealth of information about a vehicle:
- Digits 1-3 – the country of origin, manufacturer, and vehicle type.
- Digits 4-9 – transmission, engine type, body style, a check digit.
- Digits 10-17 – model year, production plant, and unique serial number.
You can also use your Mercedes VIN to get a full history report.
Where to find the Mercedes-Benz VIN?
You’ll find the Mercedes-Benz VIN on the car or related documents, such as the car title and insurance certificate. The easiest way to find it is to:
- Step outside the car and front on the driver’s side
- Look for a metal plate on the dashboard behind the windshield
- The Mercedes VIN number will be similar to: WDB2201751A432136
Many Mercedes-Benz cars also have the VIN printed on the driver’s door frame.
What Mercedes-Benz models work with our VIN decoder?
You’ll need your Mercedes-Benz VIN number to use our VIN decoder. It must have the current format of 17 characters. Don’t worry, all Mercedes-Benz cars from the current lineup have it, including:
Subcompact and compact models A-Class, B-Class, C-Class, and CLA; executive models CLS and E-Class; a full-size luxury sedan S-Class; subcompact, compact, and full size crossovers and SUVs GLA, GLB, GLC, GLE, GLS, and the legendary G-Class; electric sedans and SUVs EQA, EQB, EQC, EQE, and EQS; also SLC, AMG models, commercial vehicles. Bear in mind that Mercedes hasn’t changed their VIN character since 1983, so all later Mercedes-Benz models are eligible for a history check.
Mercedes-Benz history check: what can you learn with the Mercedes-Benz VIN?
The vehicle identification number comes in handy when looking for spare Mercedes-Benz parts or checking local registries. However, enter your vehicle’s VIN into our Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder, and you’ll get a full history report. Insurance agencies, government agencies, and manufacturers use the Mercedes-Benz VIN to log important information. This is particularly useful when purchasing a used vehicle and may include:
- Historical photographs – photos from auctions, insurance companies, ads, etc.
- Reports of theft – the system scans police registries in various countries and will let you know if the vehicle is wanted.
- Maintenance history – car’s condition depends on its past maintenance. You can find what regular maintenance and repair works have been done through the years.
- Accident history – some damages are hard to repair or even shouldn’t be repaired.
- Cases of odometer fraud – scammers often tamper with odometers to sell high-mileage cars for more money.
- Ownership history – find out how many owners the car had.
A car can become a major money pit, especially if it’s from a premium brand like Mercedes-Benz. Make sure you get a digital check before putting money in someone’s pocket!
Vehicle history report
Avoid costly problems by checking a vehicle's history. Just enter the VIN and get a full report.
Trusted by over 1,000,000 people across 25+ countries